Monday, February 2, 2015

Shorties Entry 1: Green Angel by Alice Hoffman, Fairest by Marissa Meyer, and Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Ah, reviewing books. A lovely thing to do that gives you all sorts of lovely feelings. And then when someone actually says they're going to read a book you review? And end up loving it? Or when someone follows or comments? That's when the impromptu dance party happens.

But of course, there's procrastination. I finish a book. I decide not to review it right away. But then all of a sudden I'm finished with my next book faster than I thought and then I have two books to be reviewed. 

And then my biggest problem is shorties. It's hard to write a review for a short book. So today, I will be giving you three mini reviews of three shorties I recently read.

There's Green Angel by Alice Hoffman, a lovely and adorably tiny novella... Fairest by Marissa Meyer, the long awaited novella prequel to the Lunar Chronicles... and Through the Woods by Emily Carroll, a super awesome collection of four graphic novel stories.

I am a super rebellious person, so I'm about to do something totally out of hand and crazy. I... am going to go out of order and review Fairest first. Gasp!


Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Levana knew a great deal about beauty, just as she knew a great deal about ugliness.


Stats:

Genre: Sci fi fairy tale
Feelings: OH HECK YES. 
Happiness: Happy as in I AM SO GLAD MARISSA MEYER EXISTS TO GIVE US THIS HEART WRENCHING PIECE OF BEAUTY.
Cuteness: *sobs from the corner*
Fast pacing: Eh? 
Series: Prequel the The Lunar Chronicles, which at the moment consist of Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress. Read in order!
Read if you like: Uh....The Lunar Chronicles? 
Content: A lot more sexual content, considering how clean the others are. Still, they are pleasantly free from graphic material.
In one sentence... Behind every villain....is a story about a victim that never gets told...until now.
Thoughts: A white veil over a scarred face, grief at its worst. I was going to say Agony, but then I would start singing "Into the Woods" and never stop.

Overall:

Rating: 4.5/5

This review is SPOILER FREE


The Lovely Bits:

Marissa Meyer. Can I just include her as the loveliest part? She's such a real, fun person. Going to the Fairest Launch Party was the greatest thing to happen to me ever. And this is how she come out on stage. So your argument is invalid.

\
You Shall Read my Books!

Anyway, yeah.  She is an amazing storyteller. Her writing has definitely matured, and this whole story is beautiful. I still hate Levana, but I love to hate her. She took this character that started out in Cinder as a little "Meh," and made her this intense, amazing villain. The story had thick emotions and a lot of surprises. I'm very much looking forward for Winter. Bah, why am I trying to sound professional. I NEED WINTER MORE THAN I NEED LIFE.

The Less Lovely Bits:

I really have nothing to say? It had less of a story arc as her other books, I think, but there was nothing I disliked about it. Except that it was short.



Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

I didn't want to be prideful anymore. I wanted to be as hard as and brittle as the stones I carted into the woods. Stones that could not feel or cry or see. I wished not to feel anything at all. 

In no time, what I wished for, I became.


Stats:

Genre: Atmospheric Fantasy
Feelings: Yeah.
Happiness: Yes, because prose
Cuteness: Naw.
Fast pacing:  No but this book is TINY.
Series: I don't think so? Actually I believe there IS a sequel, but it reads like a standalone.
Read if you like: Dystopia setting, sad depressing characters, and prose.
Content: Not really anything I can remember.
In one sentence... A girl dwelling in regret and hatred in the aftermath of disaster. 
Thoughts: Thorns, old leather, and green growth in cracked ground.

Overall:

Rating: 4/5

This review is SPOILER FREE

The Lovely Bits:

The prose. I want to bathe in the prose. It was very raw and to the point, reading like a messy poem. I got so immersed in the language. 

It was a very quick read, and definitely made me feel feelings. Not really sure what to say? it's a 116 page book, okay.

The Less lovely Bits:

It was very rough and in your face, at times. "This is what I am feeling! Feel it! Feeeeeell the feeeelings!" You kind of had to suspend belief a bit? But really, there was little I disliked.


Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

It's cold where I am. And so lonely. But in Loneliness I will remain. Unloved, unavenged and forgotten until I am whole again.

This book. This book! It made me squirm, and grin at the same time. The artwork was so gorgeous. I wanted to bury myself in it forever. I love this style of story so much, I'm dying to read more of her stories.



Stats:

Genre: Horror graphic novel.
Feelings: Ish? Scary feelings.
Happiness: Happy because the CREEPY.
Cuteness: Nope.
Fast pacing: Very fast read.
Series: It's a collection of stories.
Read if you like: Feeling unsettled. Unexplained monsters and fears.
Content: Some really creepy images. 
In one sentence... Four weirdly creepy stories that you won't be able to stop thinking about.
Thoughts: Cold, snow, a hole in the ground. Cold fingers, cold hearts.

Overall:

Rating: 5/5 

This review is SPOILER FREE

 The Lovely Bits:

The artwork, guys. It was stunning and unique, while still packing a punch. I could spend forever looking at each page, enjoying each word. 

See, I love scary things. I love shows like Supernatural. But after a while I get tired of the in your face guts and gore. This book, does have some blood, but it's less of a formulaic monster book. You don't actually know what's going on. It leaves you feeling unsettled and nervous. I like the unsettling books. It was a refreshing break from the forced horror books I always find m
myself reading.

The Less Lovely Bits:

Not every one of the stories was perfect. The Lady's Hands Are Cold was a little more meh, but other than that this book is a+


At that is all! Those are three of my recently read and adored shorties. I look forward to writing more posts like these in the future. Let me know if you want me to write more Shorties posts, or if you have any shorties I should read.






No comments:

Post a Comment