Sunday, December 21, 2014

Lockwood and Co: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

“When you go out hunting wicked spirits, it's the simple things that matter most. The silvered point of your rapier flashing in the dark; the iron filings scattered on the floor; the sealed canisters of best Greek Fire, ready as a last resort... 
But tea bags, brown and fresh and plenty of them, and made (for preference) by Pitkin Brothers of Bond Street, are perhaps the simplest and best of all. 
OK, they may not save your life like a sword-tip or an iron circle can, and they haven't the protective power of a sudden wall of fire. But they do provide something just as vital. They help keep you sane.” 


It took me two days to get halfway through this book then for some reason it was another two months before I picked it up again. 


How? I have no idea. Because this book was stupendous.





Stats:

Genre: Paranormal mystery
Feelings: Some?
Happiness: YES
Cuteness: Eh? George though.
Fast pacing: No
Series: Yes.
Read if you like: Ghosts, mysteries, quirky characters, old fashioned-esque writing
Content: None, though some bloody and ghosty stuff.
In one sentence... A group of teenage detectives in the unexplained investigate some ghost attacks in London
Thoughts: Freshly brewed tea, a locket, and old leather book spines

Overall:

Rating: 5/5 stars

This review is SPOILER FREE

The Lovely Bits:


There were many things I loved about this story.


Firstly, the characters. Lucy was a very plucky character, and much like Abigail Rook from Jackaby, she never once seemed the annoying kind of feisty. She trusted her instincts, even if she knew there was a chance she would fail. She wasn't blinded much by other outsides things, and it was nice to have a female character defined by her relationship to two differnt guys but not once thinking about romance. That being said I ship Lucewood hardcore and it better happen eventually or I will be upset. 


The writing was very lovely. It had an old fashioned feel to it. There was a touch of humor and quirk to every passage without being forced or contrived. When I finished the book I felt the need to re-read it and underline whole paragraphs.


The atmosphere was to die for. I loved the setting, and the original take on ghost detective stories. The way Stroud took our world and bent it around a bit was fascinating and made the book even more enjoyable to read. As I read I felt as though I was sitting there in a dark room with Lockwood, Lucy and George talking over case files, sipping tea and munching donuts, while being surrounded by the mysteries from past adventures. 


The Less Lovely Bits:


As I said, it did take me a while to really get into it. That is mainly because when i picked it up I was going through a huge reading slump. That being said, it goes to show that this isn't a book that is a thriller mystery. While it is hard to put down, it is not the best for one looking for a fast paced action filled story. It was a tad slow in certain areas, but I feel like that will improve now that the mystery is deepening.



Honestly, there is nothing else negative I have to say. I am very much looking forward to reading the second one in the coming weeks, and will definitely be anticipating the release of the third book.


I recommend this to lovers of mysteries and quirky detectives. Even if you don't like those things...go read it. Let the writing blow you away.


Also Lockwood. My heart has been stolen my Anthony Lockwood and his companions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment