Tuesday, December 16, 2014

(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

“Everyone falls eventually,” Piper told me. “You think it’ll hurt. But it’s falling with no bottom. You just keep going and going forever, just falling deeper and deeper. And once you stop being scared, it’s kind of fun.” 

I have many feelings about this book. I loved it, and yet it's not a five star. 

The writing, man. The writing.




Genre: Paranormal ish? 
feelings: YES
Happiness: Ehhhh?
Cuteness: Ehh? Was't really into the love in this story, but it was light

Fast pacing: Slower 
Series: I don't think it is.
Read if you like: Dark settings, twisted minds and places, messed up characters,
Content: Swearing, some drug content though none of the drugs are ones we know of,
In one sentence... No one dies of natural caused in Gardnerville, but every fourth year disaster strikes and you have to pay the terrible price of unhappy endings for paradise... (all I can say without spoilers)

Thoughts: A little purple pill and a choice

Overall:


Rating: 3.5/5 stars


This review is SPOILER FREE



The Lovely bits:


This was a lovely, bizarre, weird, beautiful, feel-y book. But...weird.


I was very confused for the first half. Not in a way where I didn't know what was going on, but in a way that the writing was so lovely and the plot was so lost as well as Sky. She was such a messed up character and the writing painted a amazing picture of all she had done to tear apart her life and what she did, without you even needing experience in that. Then the second half comes along and suddenly its all feelings shoved in your face. And it's gets weird very fast. The showdown and climax are ones I don't ever think I will forget.


This book isn't like anything I've read before. Certain bits remind me of other books. The creepy sister side makes me think of Imaginary Girl, while the odd-ness makes me think of The Midnight Dress. I don't think I can really think of anything like this before. It takes a lot of concepts and methods of writing that are hard to pull off, and smooshes them together creating a raw and odd story.


The Less Lovely Bits:


The romance wasn't needed, though light. I felt like it was put there simply because most YA books have it. 


As said earlier, it really was awfully confusing. And weird. See, that's the problem. The completely weird side of it can either be a pro or a con. It was...bizarre. So whether you like it or not solely depends on whether or not you can handle some really strange stuff. 


There were a lot of boring parts. I couldn't sit down and read just this, which is why I read two other books during the process of reading this. The whole synopsis made it sound very light and mysterious, while the actual book was really flat out strange. 



Overall, I did like it. The writing was great, the story intriguing If you're okay with some strange plots then I think you'll like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment