Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J Maas



They had survived, when so many had not. And no one ­else could understand what it was like to bear it, unless they had lost as much.



Recently, I have finally finished the third book in Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass series, or what I like to call it: The Maas of Lots of Pain series. See what I did there?


Anyway. Long story short this series is amazing. In this post I will be writing quick reviews for the first two books and a longer one for the third. I read the first two last year, but I didn't want to just review the first two of a series.


Also. This is a post for the currently released books, seeing as there are going to be three more in the series.




Throne of glass is probably my least favorite out of them? It was amazing, but after reading all three, ths one isn't the greatets to me.

Stats:

Genre: High Fantasy
Feelings: Angry sympathetc ones
Happiness: Some? I just love Celaena
Cuteness: Not at this point, because I didn't like Dorian in this book.
Fast pacing: Ish? 
Series: Duh.
Read if you like: Kicking butt assasins who are still HUMAN and competitions and fantasy
Content: Violence, some swears.
In one sentence... The most feared assasin is hired as the kings champion in a fight to the death for freedom.

Overall:

Rating: 4/5

The Lovely and Less Lovely Bits:

This was a fun book. Instantly, I really liked Celaena. She was fierce and strong but still like pretty dresses even though she had daggers tucker underneath. Maas is a very good storyteller, and you could really see it. It was engaging enough to keep you into it, though at first all the competition stuff seemed a little cliche. 

The world was well crafted and you felt like you were really there decoding wyrdkeys with her. The characters were really fun to read, even the evil ones. I really love Sarah J Maas's writing. She's got a very to the point style, no tiring paragraphs about uninteresting things. 

This book was a little more info-dumpy, and really, a bit eh for all the hype this series gets. I am still completely happy that I continued in the series. It keeps getting better.






Crown of Midnight is lovely. It's fast and has some more interesting events in it. I had major book hangover after this one.

Stats:

Genre: High Fantasy
Feelings: Yes. A lot. 
Happiness: YES. OTP's that finally become canon.
Cuteness: YES.
Fast pacing: More engaging than the first.
Series: Gee....I wonder.
Read if you like: The first book? Hidden secrets, lying, more killing and more cute.
Content: Two characters sleep with each other off the page. Swearing, violence.
In one sentence... Things get more serious fast as secrets begin to come out about Celaena, her work, and her past.


Overall:
Rating: 5/5


Mild spoilers below about book couples.

The Lovely and Less Lovely Bits:

This one tore my soul out. Instantly you fall back into this world, and realize just how dense this story is. So much happens in so little pages. I have a lot of thoughts about this one.

First off, happiness. My OTP came true. Chaol and Celaena were so adorable and I love them so much.

You really got a lot more development on Celaena. Before she was cool, but a lot of her traits seemed really forced. In this one you get to see more of her, and I really appreciated that. A lot of characters you were so-so about begin to come out more, and you also get more about the pasts of characters.

There's a lot of twists. A lot of hidden secrets come out, and reveals that were next to impossible to see coming. Loss, love, determination. You will be left mouth hanging open. I still think this is my favorite of the series.



And finally, Heir of Fire. I was very much excited to read this. While it wasn't quite what I expected, I did enjoy all of it, and the ending left me out of breathe. 


Stats:

Genre: High Fantasy
Feelings: Mega ones
Happiness: Oh yes.
Cuteness: Eh?
Fast pacing: Ish.
Series: Guess.
Read if you like: FAERIES AND DEATH.
Content: Swears and violence.
In one sentence... More secrets are uncovered, new people are met, and darker dangers revealed.
Thoughts: Breaking and being fixed and breaking all over again.

Overall:

Rating: Tentative 5/5 

This review is SPOILER FREE

The Lovely Bits: 

The writing. The writing has matured quite a bit by now. The story is now denser, the characters a lot differnt. The changes you see in Celaena from book one to three are heartbreaking. I am so pumped to see how she changes. 

The story gets a lot more depth. Now we have witches, wyverms and Fae all bunched together. The Fae was a really intersting culture to read about. These weren't like any "faeries" I had ever read about. I don't want to give away too much, so I'll just leave it at that.

Also, the witches. Maas doesn't take shortcuts in developing the specie's in her stories. She doesn't call them just witches and leave you to picture warty old ladies in point hats. Nope. She describes their second eyelids, there way of life, even giving them iron teeth and claws. They're freaky, okay.

Sarah J. Maas really has a way of making you love and hate characters at the same time. She does that many times in this book. You start of hating someone and then all of a sudden you love them? What? She messes with your head. You're all set to want some character to go die in a deep dark hole but then suddenly you're clutching to them while crying.

Yeah. That's what this book is.

And Celaena's back story. The whole chapter where we learn everything that happened tore my soul to shreds. It was very different than what I was expecting.

Basically, this whole book was glorious.

The Less Lovely Bits

This book was freaking long. Honestly, I skipped most of the witch chapters. I was so engaged in everything else I wasn't that interested in the witch stuff. I felt like it should have been shorter or not there at all. 

While it was nice to have mean characters be actually good, it did get a little old. What was wrong with having a jerky character that wasn't on the evil side? There didn't always have to be some justifying reason to be cold.

The romance witch Sorscha and Dorian was really cute, but also felt a little rushed and unnecessary, though it did have some good character development.

Sarah J. Maas tends to have a POV chapter from every character. That is nice, but it's another thing that could be annoying.

Honestly, there wasn't much I didn't love in this. Everything was well thought out, but very dense.


Overall, I highly recommend this series. It's unlike anything I've read. It's a very unique way of storytelling, so I don't think it's for everyone. But I would defiantly give it a shot.




No comments:

Post a Comment