Wednesday, October 15, 2014

October Reads!





Yes, it is the 15th, but it is not too late to get some fun and spooky books for the October Season!


So basically I will be sharing some books I recommend that feature some sort of spooky element. Most of these very well may be far from scary, but they will prove hopefully to be fun for Halloween and things.


And so I will jump right in!










 Monster, ghosts, ghouls and demons.




The May Bird trilogy
 by Jodi Lynn Anderson

This is a juvenile fiction trilogy that I LOVE. Seriously I have yet to read a book that is geared for young audiences that have this much emotion. As most of the books featured here, this one is not necessarily terrifying. but it does have unique concepts revolving ghosts and monsters.


Anna Dressed in Blood
 by Kendare Blake

Yeesh. This one is perfect for any lovers of Supernatural. Full of bloody murders and deaths and exciting ghost action. Perfect for lovers of books about demony ghosts and bloody deaths. 




The Nightmarys and The Stone Child 
by Dan Poblocki

Two equally frightening stories told very well. 



Books about Witches and Vampires:



The Coldest Girl in Coldtown 
by Holly Black

I don't like vampires. And I really like this book. This book takes a subject I find annoying and weaves a dark, gruesome, and beautiful story that I find very interesting. Ultimate chill-inducing read.


Half Bad
 by Sally green

I haven't read a lot of Witch books, but this one blew me away. Lovable characters, emotional angst and pain, and a really interesting magic system. Definitely recommend. 



Beautiful Creatures 
by Kami Harcia and Margaret Stohl

I don't really really like this one, but it's a fun quick easy witchy book and if you have yet to read it I would give it a go.



Misc. Scary Stories:



Coraline 
by Neil Gaiman

A go to quick scary read! Everyone needs to read this book even if they end up not liking it.



Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs

Weird and creepy. A fun easy read with really cool pictures 



The 5th Wave 
by Rick Yancey

The ultimate epic alien book


Reboot 
by Amy Tintera

Zombie-but-not-really-but-they-kind-of-are kick-butt action and romance? Yes please.




The Raven Boys 
by Maggie Steifvater

Not made to be scary but I am putting it here anyway because everyone has to read these.


Also. If you want scayr stories, go read some Edgar Allan Poe! Those....are scary. 
Tell Tale Heart anyone? Yeesh.



Not paranormaly but strange and fun:


Kill me Softly 
by Sarah Cross

The ultimate dark Grimm fairy tale book. Like a dark Once Upon a Time. 


Imaginary Girls 
by Nova Ren Suma

Unsettling and eerie. A fun read even if void of scary bits


Replication 
By Jill Williamson

A good christian read. Not as scary but very enjoyable. 


Unspoken 
by Sarah Rees Brennan

An all time favorite of mine. Very quirky and fun with supernatural elements. 






The Ruining
by Anna Collomore

Not made to be scary but somehow very unsettling




Ta Da! There you have it.

This month for my scary book tbr, I will be hopefully reading:

The Physick book of Deliverance Dane
Spellcaster
The Murder Complex
Far Far Away
Conversion
Daughter of Smoke and Bone


And there. There is my long post of books. Hope you found some that sparked your interest. 
And have a happy fall.











No comments:

Post a Comment